Government of Arkhangelsk region
Ural branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences
Federal Center for Integrated Arctic Research of the Russian Academy of Sciences
Northern (Arctic) Federal University
Interregional Lomonosov Foundation
We are pleased to invite you to the International conference «Global Problems of the Arctic and Antarctic» which is the joint initiative of the Government of Arkhangelsk region, Ural branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS), Federal Center for Integrated Arctic Research of the RAS (FCIARctic) and Northern (Arctic) Federal University (NArFU).
The conference will be hosted by FCIARctic and NArFU in Arkhangelsk on 23–26 June, 2020.
General subject of the forum is related to the problem of response to impacts of the global climate change on the circumpolar areas. Menaces caused by this trend may be accelerated by phenomena leading to a further increase in temperatures, such as the release of carbon from inert natural reservoirs and the rapid decrease of the ice cover in the Arctic ocean.
Reports and discussions will be focused on scientific development and justification of capabilities and measures required for adaptation of life systems and infrastructures in the circumpolar regions to the climate changes. An efficiency of these measures is determined by research-based risk assessments and decisions.
Thematic sessions and panels (click here for session proposals)
- Climate change and geocryological consequences in the Arctic and Antarctic;
- Geophysical and isotope geochemical methods and technologies for mineral exploration;
- The role of polar ecosystems in global biogeochemical cycles and its connections to the climate change;
- Development and transfer of innovations in the Arctic and Antarctic;
- Traditional culture and habitat: sustainable development of the North and the Arctic in a changing world;
- Northern Sea Route, coastal infrastructure, navigation safety: problems, monitoring, risk management;
- Arctic space: extractive industry oriented model or balanced development;
- Arctic law: formation trends and development prospects;
- Preservation of health and human adaptation in the Arctic zone in the changing climate;
- Agriculture and food security in the circumpolar regions.
Working languages Russian and English.
Registration deadline 15.05.2020
05.12.2020 registration and submission of abstracts are open;
01.02.2020 submission of texts for publication in the conference proceedings is open;
15.05.2020 deadline for registration;
15.05.2020 deadline for submission of texts for publication in the conference proceedings;
15.05.2020 release of the draft program;
01.06.2020 program final approval.
Contact: Olga GUBINA; tel. 89115627273; firstname.lastname@example.org
Looking forward for welcoming you in Arkhangelsk!Register for the Conference